1. Where are you from? Where are you currently living?
I'm from South Africa. I've been living in Germany for about five years; the last year in Berlin.
2. What is your professional background?
Communication, Charity and voluntary work, Art and Design, Education & Teaching
3. What are you most passionate about and why?
Effective communication! We live in a world that is overflowing with interesting ideas – new and old – but we're not always so good at making these ideas accessible or understandable. Beyond, say, getting your spelling and grammar in order, there is so much to think about if you really want your message to make an impact on the intended audience. Why do we hide our ideas under bad communication? We should give them wings!
4. Do you have any projects/company/startup that you want to share with us?
http://www.ingridlezar.com is my venture that combines everything I know – copy-editing, language learning, visual communication design, and semiotics – to offer individual solutions for communication challenges. The main service is a combination of editing and helping advanced speakers with their English, but the possibilities are much broader.
5. Why did you decide to start your own business?
There are rather few jobs out there that could really utilise my full skill set. I prefer being a generalist who continually deepens her knowledge in various related fields to being a narrow specialist.
6. Great! Tell us more about your business!
Depending on how you measure it, my business is anything from ten years to six months old. With the focus on both language services and language learning, I hope to serve a broad base. (I also love it when a wide variety of topics comes across my desk!) I've already worked with academics and small business owners, and I especially enjoy both these groups.
7. What was the most difficult or challenging thing to start with?
Everyone, say it with me: building your client roster.
8. Where do you currently need support in the project?
Haha – see above! At the moment I'm looking for clients who are open to exploring the development of my services package with me.
9. Do you have an advice for other women?
It'll never be perfect. Just go with it. (I'd like to hire someone to shout this at me every hour!)
10. What would you tell your younger self?
Pay more attention to people's feelings.
How to get in contact:
Ingrid Lezar | Editor, Translator, Designer, Founder & CEO of ingridlezar.com